Thursday, August 2, 2012

August: Impeccable Family

Be present, treasure the moment, let out your inner child


"If you want your children to be intelligent, read them fairy tales. If you want them to be more intelligent, read them more fairy tales."
-Albert Einstein

In August I want to focus on family and parenting. I am so happy that my project has already helped a lot when it comes to doing a better job as a mom. I can see how, as I have become a happier person myself, my kids have become happier and more balanced. There are less tantrums (on both sides) and much more joy. This was one of the fundamental reasons that I wanted to do a happiness project. Hence I am truly grateful to see these positive effects, after just 2 months.

Of course there is still plenty of room for improvement. I want to have more fun with my kids, be more present for them, treasure the time that I have with them, make sure that I treat them with the same respect as I treat adults, and help them to grow up to be happy, strong, confident and independent individuals.

I am also going to use this month to reach out to my parents, siblings, and in-laws. For example by calling them and sending them pictures and news of the kids.

My August Resolutions

  • play and be silly
  • watch my tone
  • no snapping
  • talk with my children
  • teach them something new
  • sing and dance
  • establish a family morning routine
  • teach my daughter to tidy up her room before she goes to sleep
  • take more photos


My August Tasks

  • This month's reading list: "How to Talk So Kids Will Listen and Listen So Kids Will Talk (How to Help Your Child)", "The Power of Now: A Guide to Spiritual Enlightenment", plus a couple of H.C. Andersen's Fairy Tales.
  • Think about my pleasures of childhood
  • Call my mom, dad, siblings, and in-laws
  • Send photos and a "newsletter" to closest family
  • Make a list of old and new family traditions
  • Paint the kids' room
  • Frame and hang up kids' art and family photos
  • Create a "family mission statement"
  • Read about home-schooling and un-schooling
  • Organize the memorabilia: write in my children's diaries, put photos in "my son's first photo album", find better ways to organize and store their and my own memorabilia.


Happy month of August!

No comments:

Post a Comment