Friday, August 24, 2012

the why?

At the moment I am feeling a little bit overwhelmed by everything that I want to achieve in my life, as well as everything that needs to be done. The happiness project, and my resolution charts have been of great help in shifting my daily routine so that it is better aligned with my goals and values, but I feel I still need to regularly step back and reassess...to gain a better perspective. To remind myself where I want to go. As I was thinking about this in the last couple of days I came across the following quotes/ideas:

Why are you doing what you are doing?
I was at a job-related workshop where a woman was talking about marketing strategies. She emphasized that we should always be asking ourselves why we are doing what we are doing. Is it out of habit? Is it to please other people and/or social norms? Or does what you are doing have a true value for you and your goals (and happiness)?

You can do anything, but not everything (David Allen, author of Getting Things Done)
In particular you can not do everything at the same time! This one has been difficult for me to accept (and I am not quite there yet), there are so many things that I want to do. But often I spread myself way too thin, and in the end become exhausted without achieving anything. Focusing on too many things is not efficient, or an effective way to reach your goals.

I don't know anyone who focused on what they wanted, worked on it daily, and didn’t achieve it (Kyle Cease)
I came across this quote on another blog, and thought it was a nice reminder, and an inspiration to think big, to prioritize my goals, and to make room to work on the most important ones EVERY DAY.

So these are my tasks for the weekend:
  • Examine my habits, my choices, my resolutions and ask "the why"?
  • List my goals - and prioritize them.
  • Simplify my resolutions and my routine where I can.

Have a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

  1. Hey, thanks for the link to my blog! I have this same issue. There are so many things that I want to get accomplished that I get overwhelmed. This overwhelmed feeling turns into irritability which inevitably leads to inaction. I love the first question "why are you doing what you're doing" - this is definitely something that I need to be asking myself. Thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete