Tuesday, May 8, 2012

count your blessings

Let us rise up and be thankful; for if we didn't learn a lot today, at least we learned a little, and if we didn't learn a little, at least we didn't get sick, and if we got sick, at least we didn't die; so, let us all be thankful.
-Buddha

Reflect on your present blessings, of which every man has many, and not on your past misfortunes, of which all men have some.
-Charles Dickens

Gratefulness is the key to a happy life that we hold in our hands, because if we are not grateful, then no matter how much we have we will not be happy -- because we will always want to have something else or something more.
-Brother David Steindl-Rast

As a kid I occasionally went to a Sunday school. One day the priest talked to us about how we prayed and talked to God. He told us how we should remember not only to turn to God to ask for things, but also to give thanks for what has already been given. I was probably about 7 years old, and for some reason this talk got to me. I probably realized even then, that I should remember to be more thankful for what I had...and stop whining about the petty things that I didn't have.

There seems to be consensus that being grateful increases one's level of happiness. Being thankful sounds easy enough, especially as I know I have plenty to be thankful for. But it is definitely something I tend to forget in my everyday life. Inspired by this talk I want to make gratitude an everyday habit.

Resolution #1 (To become happier and more positive):
I already bought a little pink notebook to keep next to my bed. For the next couple of months (at least), I will write down 3-5 things I am grateful for. It can be big or it can be small, but everyday it should be something new, i.e. I cannot list the same things everyday:) Should be an interesting and fun exercise.

No comments:

Post a Comment