Sunday, June 3, 2012

my first secret of adulthood:

exercise is first and foremost about health and taking care of your body, not about looking good in a bikini

So after 32 years I have learned that taking care of your body is super important. I am lazy, and I've never really been athletic. Until I finished college I got away with it, in the sense that I didn't gain weight. When suddenly that wasn't the case, I dragged my ass to the gym with the motivation that I had to fit those jeans, or look good in that bikini. That motivation didn't work well, and my visits to the gym have been quite random throughout the last few years. After being pregnant twice in 4 years, I realized how vulnerable my body is, and how important it is to take good care of it. Not to look better (although that would be a nice side effect), but to feel better. To be strong, fit and healthy. That being said, I have found it extremely difficult to find the time and energy to take care of my dear body, but I know that I need to make it my priority.

A friend told me about a program: c25k (go from couch to running 5 km in 9 weeks), and I thought it would be a perfect start ("start small" is one of my new mantras). I would love to do some yoga, and I know I also have to strengthen my muscles, but this is my first step.

No comments:

Post a Comment